Monday, October 22, 2012

Let's take a hike to Tax Mountain

        In my recent search for a blog, I fell upon a site called "EmpowerTexans". I came across an article written by Dustin Matocha. I typically avoid Republican publications but I figured that I would expand my mind a bit and give the right wing writers a chance. What caught my eye was an article titled "Tax Hikes When You Least Expect Them." Clearly the author's target audience are the tax payers, conservatives, and voters. The question is, what tax hikes?

        The author is expressing concern on the Tax Ratification Elections. What in the world is that? That is exactly the problem he is addressing. Tax Ratification Elections, also know as TRE's, are elections held for school districts that are contemplating an increase on property tax. You think to yourself, well it's for education so it can't be that bad. I am all for max budgeting for education, but the problem is how they are purposing these taxes. According to the article, school boards are only required to hold elections 30 to 90 days after they adopt the new tax rate. So in turn, school districts take advantage of this legal window. School districts are selecting dates for elections on days that voters are least likely to expect them. I believe the author has a valid argument, if the evidence is accurate, because only 3 out of 42 school districts are holding TRE's on November 6th. This is a date that the majority of the voters are showing up. Texas has a 50 to 60% turnout for presidential elections, as for a 10% turnout for local elections. If the voters were more informed in the TRE's, I'm sure we would see a larger turnout next time TRE's are held.

        I believe the author made a good point. He also surprised me that I was actually interested in such a conservative article. In all, the purpose of this article is to reform Tax Ratification Elections to where it's fair for the voters who are going to paying these taxes. Also, to set up an official date for when these elections be held.

1 comment:

  1. In response to the article S.S Education I was shocked with everything I learned. I find the numbers for Texas far more than dissappointing,to be honest I found them flat out an embarrassment. I have to agree with the fact that Texas needs to figure out what exactly we can do to not only increase the knowledge of our students but also the funding of the school systems. There are so many possible solutions out there that wouldnt involve a raise in tuition or taxes Texans just need a person in office willing to address these situations. I would have enjoyed to know alittle bit on the thoughts and insight on solutions to these problems. I agree with the article but I want to know what options are out there to solve these numbers and give us students who want to succeed and actually can.

    ReplyDelete